Thursday, September 6, 2018

Travel - Newport

If you take a look-see at my archive list, you see my posts are sporadic at best. This blog is more like my journal. I write when the mood strikes, and time allows. 

For the most part I write about health and fitness. I share my struggles with my weight and some recipes that I like. I plan to continue to do so but, in an effort, to expand my repertoire I've decided to add something else I love to this here blog. Travel.

I have it in my head that you can't say you, "love to travel," unless your passport is running out of pages and your Instagram is flooded with turquoise water. That is incorrect.

I love to travel away from home. To familiar, old favorites and to new, fun places. My passport might not be impressive, but I really don't care. I love a good road trip and I'm going to share my favorite places with you. It's my blog. I make the rules.

First up, we’re crossing the Claiborne Pell Bridge into my favorite little city, Newport, RI. Rhode Island's official name is Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations.
Smallest by area. Biggest by name.

I reluctantly went to college at Salve Regina University in Newport. A small Catholic school that sits, quite literally, at the edge of the Atlantic. I thought I'd hate it. I hated the idea of it and the fact that my best friend was three states away in Upstate New York.



Once I got there, I still wasn’t sure I’d like the school, but I knew that Newport had my heart.
The pace of life is just a little slower and the beach dictates your day-to-day.

We routinely waited to skip class for beach days and beach days only.
Mono with a 100-degree fever in January? I’m still coming for you drawing 101.


Below are some old favorites with some new additions thrown in over time.
I hope you get a chance to visit my favorite city sometime.


DANCE / DRINK / EAT ::

The Pelham sits right on upper Thames and usually has good cover bands on the weekend. I spent most of my time there in the early 2000's. It crowded and hot with sticky floors and a monster line for the bathroom. Ah, the good ole days. Be forewarned, depending on when you go there might be a cover charge.

Dueling Piano Bar. It's directly above The Pelham so worse comes to worse, you head downstairs. I haven't been, but someone told me about it. I've never been to a Dueling Piano Bar. Someone likes them because they keep popping up.


Next to The Pelham is The Newport Blues Cafe which almost always has great bands on the weekends. 
There will probably be a cover but it's almost always worth it. You can check out their line up on the website. You can more or less guarantee there'll be a dance party in there.

The Landing has bars both inside and out and while the floors might slope, the dancing is good.

On Bowen's Wharf you'll find a lovely restaurant called The Clarke Cooke House. The food is amazing but prepare yourself for a low-key, upper crust vibe. If you're not familiar with a sailing town it's hard to describe but you'll know it when you see it in Vineyard Vines. Inside and downstairs of the Cooke House is a little bar called, The Boom-Boom Room. Go just to say you've been to a bar called The Boom-Boom Room. There is dancing but there is also a camera on the dance floor that live-feeds your best moves to a tv behind the bar.

'At the Deck'. It's down lower Thames, behind O'Briens. Not near much else so might be good for lunch or a pre-dinner cocktail. I love the location but I myself have never eaten here.

The Lobster bar is on Bannisters Wharf. It's huge. Decent food and right next to it is the Landing


The restaurant at the Marriott , the Main-Sail, is usually under populated but has a great view. They recently re-did the whole place, so it has a much less dated decor than when I worked there.

Our favorite restaurant in Newport is The Mooring, it's right on America's Cup. Set back a little but not far from the fun spots. If you go, get the appetizer called bag of doughnuts.

Red Parrot and The Brick Alley Pub are good for groups but they don't take reservations. Red Parrot has a menu in a binder, so if you have picky eaters, go there. Brick Alley has a snug bar with a fireplace and a great salad bar. Their menu is also pretty extensive.



O'Brien's has good bar food and an outdoor patio. It always a good choice for a quick lunch. It's a local's spot so if you're into that vibe, head here in the evening to see Newport natives in their habitat.

If you hit the beach, directly across from First Beach is Flo's Clam Shack.
Greasy seafood but good and cheap!


For breakfast, definitely check out The Atlantic Grille. Hands down my favorite breakfast place of all time.
Although, The Corner Cafe on Broadway comes close. It's just smaller so there is almost always a wait. It's worth it. Especially if there is anything with Portuguese Sweet Bread on the menu.

Simpatico.It's in Jamestown but Newport has Uber now. They classy. 
In all honesty, I've been once but the food was remarkable, and the setting was very romantic. It's worth a visit.

Some other notables; Mid-Town Oyster Bar, Sardella's, Zelda's, Benjamin's, Busker's Irish Pub, Salvation Cafe... my wrists are sore from typing. There are so many great spots!



To Do:

The Cliff Walk. Yes, it's touristy but for good reason. You're walking on a cliff along the ocean. Once you get past the crowds, you'll see why people flock here. You can pick it up off the Salve campus. There are signs on Bellevue directing the way. Or you can pick it up at First Beach behind the Cliff Walk Inn on Memorial Drive.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can take it from Ruggles Ave., and make a right towards the mansions. At some point the defined path goes bye-bye and you're walking on rocks. It's amazing. I recommend it if you're up to the challenge. 


Speaking of Mansions, these Newport "summer cottages" do not disappoint. My favorite is The Marble House. Do NOT touch the gold-leaf wall paper like my Grandmother did. They frown upon that. The most famous is the Vanderbilt Mansion, The Breakers. As in Gloria Vanderbilt. Someone in your lineage wore her jeans and depending on your age, it was most likely your mom. You may know her son, Anderson Cooper. The top floor of the home is still in use by the family in the summer. 

Marble House


I recently visited The Elms this winter for the Christmas tour. If you do one touristy thing in your life, let it be a Newport Mansion at Christmas. There really is nothing like the opulence that goes into decorating these masterpieces. 

If you just want to chill, check out first beach off Memorial Drive, if it's too crowded, drive past the Beach House towards St Georges School and you'll find "second beach." Summer or not, the beach is a favorite destination for me.

One of my favorite Newport things to do is grab an iced Snicker-doodle from Ma's and take a ride around Ocean Drive. It's so calming and the views are like nothing I've seen.

Photo by Artur Staszewski


While you're on Ocean Drive, make a quick detour to Castle Hill to grab a drink on the Lawn. Adirondack chairs that overlook the Ocean line the lawn of this famous locale. 

Back in town you can swing by the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame. The grounds themselves are gorgeous and are a hidden gem among an otherwise busy and crowded section of town. You can grab dinner at La Forge while you're there.

You can stay on Bellevue and check out the Car Museum like I did this summer or wander in and out of some of the boutiques. 

I myself enjoy shopping on Memorial. There is everything from art supplies, to tourist gear to adorable summer dresses and antiques. The Pink Pineapple is my go-to favorite.

My list can and will go on but trust me, Newport does not disappoint. 

* Photos are not my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment