Thursday, May 14, 2015

Breakfast with a Smile - Gluten Free Granola

I love the crunch!
5 days a week I eat breakfast at my desk.  I generally make it ahead of time
and bring it in bulk. I switch it up week to week but I could probably eat yogurt. fruit and granola every day, every week, indefinetly.


Greek yogurt is a great breakfast pick for me.  I like 2% Fage the best. The fat keeps me full and satiated without being as heavy as the Whole.  I can't stand the taste of the 0% and don't feel satisfied afterwards. There is no point in eating it if I'm going to be hungry again in an hour.

I like to top my yogurt with fresh berries, some agave and granola. I love the crunch!

Homemade granola is my go-to when I want something crunchy and slightly sweet.

Store bought granola is usually high in sugar and fat. Which is why my taste buds love it and my waist line hates it!

I decided to experiment and make my own granola so I knew what was going into it. 
Plus it's so easy and cheap to make in bulk that I feel guilty not making it.


Gluten Free Homemade Granola
  • 1C GF Oats
  • 1/2C Coconut Oil, melted
  • 1/4C sweetener of choice. I like creamed honey.
  • 1 Tbs cinnamon
  • 1 Tbs nutmeg
  • 1/4C unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/4C chia seeds
  • 2Tbs pumpkin seeds
  • 2 – 3Tbs slivered almonds
  • 2 Tbs crushed walnuts
  • *Chopped dried apricots – I chopped up about 6


Toss the oats w/cinnamon and nutmeg so they’re coated
Add the sweetener and oil together, mix fully then pour over oats
Add nuts/seeds/fruit and mix well
Place in oven on low heat, about 200 degrees

Occasionally toss mixture so it evenly browns.
I take it out after 45 mins or so but it depends on how light or dark you like your granola.

It’s easy to burn so keep an eye on it!


*Any dried fruit works or none at all. The world is  your granola, do it your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment